The Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Credit Card Review
January 9, 2020
Get rewarded with the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card
The Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card is a rewards card that gives you a percentage of your purchases back as points. These points can then be redeemed at Amazon.com or for cash back, gift cards and travel, letting you decide when and how you want to get rewarded. Credit is provided by Chase and the card is tied to your Amazon account, making it easy to get more out of everyday online shopping.
This card is a great fit if you regularly spend at Amazon and prefer clear-cut bonuses over more complex travel reward card redemption or cash-back category management.
What to expect from the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card
- APR: 15.75%-23.74% based on your creditworthiness and variable with the prime rate.
- Annual Fee: No annual fee.
- Reward Rates: Earn 3% back on all Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market purchases, 2% back at restaurants, gas stations and drug stores and 1% back on all other purchases. For every 100 points earned, you can redeem $1 off purchases at Amazon.com or redeem your points for cash back, gift cards or travel purchases.
- Intro Offer: Get a $60 Amazon.com gift card when you’re approved for the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card.
- Easily redeem your points: You can redeem your points when checking out at Amazon.com. There’s no minimum for redemption, meaning you can use points to pay for some of your purchase and put the rest on your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card.
- No foreign transaction fees: Don’t let costs get ahead of you when you’re traveling abroad; use your card with confidence knowing you won’t pay any foreign transaction fees.
- Travel accident insurance: Enjoy peace of mind when you’re on the road or in the air — cardholders get travel accident insurance of up to $500,000 when travel fares are booked with the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card.
- Baggage delay insurance: If you make it to your destination but your baggage goes somewhere else, don’t sweat it! You’re covered with reimbursements for essential items on delays over six hours up to $100 per day for three days.
- Zero fraud liability: You’re never responsible for any unauthorized purchases made on your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card.
- Roadside dispatch: Need help when you’re away from home? Call 1-800-847-2869 to dispatch help on-demand and then pay for any incurred roadside fees directly with your card.
- Purchase protection: New purchases are covered for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Luxury hotel access: Get treated like a VIP at over 900 hotels worldwide with the Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection. Cardmembers automatically get the best room rate, room upgrades when available and free in-room Wi-Fi.
- Signature concierge service: Enjoy complimentary 24/7/365 Visa Signature Concierge Service — find sports tickets, make dinner reservations or even track down the perfect gift with a single call.
But keep your eyes open for pitfalls
While the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card makes it easy to earn and redeem points at Amazon.com, there are some restrictions. Points cannot be used to purchase:
- Amazon Kindle downloads.
- Digital music.
- Amazon video titles.
- Amazon appstore apps.
- AmazonFresh items.
- Subscribe and Save items.
- Magazine subscriptions.
- Pre-order items.
- Textbook rentals.
It’s also not possible to use One-Click purchasing with the Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card — you’ll need to manually check out and apply your points to get the benefit.
If you’re looking to maximize the rewards you earn with Amazon.com, consider the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card. The difference? When linked to an eligible Prime account, you get 5% back on all Amazon.com and Whole Foods Market purchases, along with a $100 Amazon gift card upon account approval. It’s worth noting, however, that if you close your Amazon account or choose not to renew your Prime membership, you’ll only earn 3% back at Amazon.com.
If you prefer a more straightforward cash back card that doesn’t require points-to-dollars conversion, look at options like the Chase Freedom Unlimited card. This card offers 1.5% percent cash back on all purchases with no cash back limit, offers a $200 cash back bonus after spending $500 on purchases in your first three months and has a 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months.
How to maximize your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Rewards
Getting the most from your Amazon Rewards Visa Signature card means making sure your spending earns the most points possible. While you’ll get 1% for every purchase, everywhere and 2% at gas stations and restaurants, this card really shines when you’re regularly purchasing items at Amazon.com or buying big-ticket items from the site. With automatic account integration, it’s easy to redeem your points for just about whatever you want, whenever you want it — with a few exceptions.
The Amazon Rewards Visa Signature Card lets you earn points and reduce the cost of almost every purchase you make through Amazon.com. Combined with points for everyday spending, quality-of-life protection features and access to travel upgrades, this card is designed for regular Amazon shopers who want to get rewarded while they shop.
If you’re a regular Amazon or Whole Foods Shopper whose purchases aren’t on the redemption exclusion list, this card makes it easy to save (and spend) more online. If you’re looking to get even more back from Amazon.com shopping, opt for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card and enjoy 5% back on every Amazon purchase. If consistent cash back — rather than online points — is your preference, opt for a credit solution like the Chase Freedom Unlimited card.