The Nordstrom Visa Signature Card Review
January 15, 2020
Get rewarded with the Nordstrom Visa Signature Card
The Nordstrom Visa Signature Card earns points that can be redeemed for credit at Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack or Nordstrom.com. Cardholders earn bonus points for spending at Nordstrom stores and also get extra benefits with a free Nordy Club membership.
This card is ideal if you’re a regular Nordstrom shopper looking to earn rewards for regular fashion or accessory purchases combined with the quality-of-life benefits offered by Visa Signature.
What to expect from the Nordstrom Visa Signature Card
- APR: 12.40%-24.40%, based on creditworthiness at the time of account opening. Low-end Nordstrom Visa Signature rates are better than most comparable retail cards, while higher rates are closer to average.
- Annual Fee: No annual fee.
- Reward Rates: Cardholders earn three points for every dollar spent at Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Nordstrom.com, HauteLook and TrunkClub. They also earn two points for every dollar spent on dining, entertainment and travel along with one point per dollar everywhere Visa cards are accepted.
- Intro Offer: Get a $40 Bonus Note to spend on any Nordstrom purchase when your cardholder application is approved.
- Nordy Club membership: Every Nordstrom Visa Signature Card comes with Nordy Club membership, which offers access to great deals, early sales and more.
- Early access: All cardmembers get early access to Nordstrom’s anniversary sale in July.
- First to shop: Enjoy exclusive access to new brands and product lines at Nordstrom before everyone else.
- Beauty and style workshops: Get a curated look with the help of Nordstrom’s stylists — without breaking your budget.
- Curbside pickup: In a hurry to get your purchases? Choose Buy Online and Pickup in Store, then request curbside pickup. When you arrive, your purchases will be walked out to your vehicle.
- Free alterations: Get reimbursed for any clothing alterations paid for with your Nordstrom Visa Signature Card at any Nordstrom location.
- Boost your status: Depending on how much you spend at Nordstrom, you can earn even more rewards. Cardholders automatically earn Insider status; you can earn Influencer status by spending $2,000 or more per year and Ambassador status by spending more than $5,000.
- Double personal points day: Feel like earning even more points? Schedule one double personal points day per year and get 2x the points on every Nordstrom purchase.
- Automatic rewards: Reward points are automatically converted into Nordstrom Notes; every 2,000 points is worth $20. These Notes can be combined with other offers.
- Visa Signature Luxury Hotels: Enjoy special guest status at more than 900 hotels worldwide with your Visa Signature card. Get the best room rates, upgraded rooms when available and free in-room Wi-Fi.
- Built-in auto rental coverage: Book a rental car with your Visa Signature and enjoy automatic coverage for physical damage, theft and loss-of-use charges.
- Roadside assistance: Need help? Call the Visa Signature 24/7 roadside assistance hotline; operators will stay on the line until help arrives.
- Global entry statement credit: Apply for the Global Entry program with your Visa Signature card and get a $100 statement credit for the application fee.
- Discounted airfare: Save $100 when you book a qualifying trip for two to five people through the Visa Signature Discount Air Website.
- Trip delay reimbursement: With Trip Delay coverage you can receive up to $300 when you’re stuck for more than 12 hours.
But keep your eyes open for pitfalls
While the Nordstrom Visa Signature Card offers great benefits for loyal Nordstrom customers, there are some potential drawbacks. First, you’ll have a higher APR for shopping outside of Nordstrom, as any non-Nordstrom purchases come with a minimum APR of 16.40%. Additionally, the points you earn on the card can only be used at Nordstrom stores and for Nordstrom shopping online, and can’t be redeemed for cash.
Furthermore, Nordstrom Notes expire one year after the date of issue, meaning the clock starts ticking after your first 2,000 points redemption. Sales staff can convert these Notes to non-expiring gift cards, but this adds a layer of complexity and requires extra oversight from cardholders to ensure they don’t miss out on rewards redemption.
If you enjoy the idea of getting rewarded for regular shopping but want a more broadly-applicable card, consider the Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi. For every dollar you spend at Costco gas stations (up to $7,000 per year), you get 4% cash back, plus you earn 2% cash back for all other Costco and Costco.com purchases.
If earning direct cash back with a bigger sign-up bonus is more your style, opt for something like the Capital One Savor One Rewards card. You get 3% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases. Plus, you get a one-time $150 cash bonus when you spend more than $500 in purchases in the first three months after opening.
How to maximize your Nordstrom Visa Signature Card Rewards
Getting the most from your Nordstrom Visa Signature Card rewards means making sure you don’t let Nordstrom Notes expire — either roll them into a gift card or spend them immediately to get the biggest benefit. Since Notes are issued automatically, it’s worth keeping track of how much you spend and checking with staff in-store to ensure Nordy Club membership and cardholder rewards are both being used to maximum effect.
If you’re a Nordstrom shopper through-and-through, this card is for you. It offers extra rewards for shopping online and in-store along with points for dining, travel and everyday spending.
If everyday purchases outpace your fashion and accessory spending, however, consider more broadly-applicable reward cards like the Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi. If direct cash back with a bonus offer is more your style, try on the Capital One Savor One card.